Parents as Teachers (PAT) builds strong communities, thriving families and children that are healthy, safe and ready to learn by matching parents and caregivers with trained professionals who make regular personal home visits during a child’s earliest years of life, from prenatal through kindergarten.
Parents as Teachers supports everyone in our community with resources. Additional program resources are allocated to families experiencing the following stressors:
- Families at risk for Child Abuse or Neglect
- Child with disabilities or chronic health condition
- Court-appointed legal guardians and/or Foster Care
- A death in the immediate family
- Domestic/Intimate Partner violence
- Homeless or unstable housing
- Incarcerated parent(s)
- Low educational attainment
- Low income
- Military family
- Parent with disabilities or chronic health condition
- Parent with mental illness
- Recent immigrant or refugee family
- Substance abuse
- Teen Parents
- Very low birth weight babies
ABOUT THE EVIDENCE-BASED HOME VISITING MODEL
The Parents as Teachers Evidence-Based Home Visiting Model is the comprehensive home-visiting, parent education model used by Parents as Teachers Affiliates. The model provides services to families with children from prenatal through kindergarten. Affiliates follow the essential requirements of the model, which provide minimum expectations for program design, infrastructure, and service delivery. Parents as Teachers provides support for affiliates to meet those requirements as well as further quality standards that represent best practices in the field.
THERE ARE FOUR DYNAMIC COMPONENTS TO THE PARENTS AS TEACHERS MODEL:
- Personal Visits
- Group Connections
- Resource Network
- Child Screening
TOGETHER, THESE FOUR COMPONENTS FORM A COHESIVE PACKAGE OF SERVICES WITH FOUR PRIMARY GOALS:
- Increase parent knowledge of early childhood development and improve parent practices
- Provide early detection of developmental delays and health issues
- Prevent child abuse and neglect
- Increase children’s school readiness and success
The Parents as Teachers model for providing services to families with children from the prenatal period to kindergarten has been tested by rigorous peer-reviewed studies and shown to produce results. This evidence-based model offers direct services and programming throughout Cobb County.
If you are interested in more information, please contact Kati Arias at email@example.com.